5 Foods You Can Overdose On
#1 Soy Sauce
In 2013, a 19-year-old man from Virginia drank 0.9 liters (1 qt) of soy sauce after being dared by his friends to do so. He went into a coma and nearly died from the extreme levels of salt in his body.
An Arkansas man suffered kidney failure as a result of drinking too much iced tea.The 56-year-old man drank about 16 240-milliliter (8 oz) cups of iced tea every day.
Ingesting as little as approximately 4.4 grams (2 tsp) of the spice can result in nutmeg toxicity. Usually, people who ingest large amounts of nutmeg are looking for a high. The spice contains a natural compound called myristicin, which has hallucinogenic effects in large doses that are similar to the high from LSD.
Too much toothpaste can have tragic results. In the early 1990s, toothpaste labels contained basic warnings that said, “Do Not Swallow. In 1997, a poison warning was added to toothpaste products that contained fluoride.
#5 Cruciferous Vegetables
In 2011, a man was hospitalized after overdosing on Brussels sprouts at Christmas dinner. The man had a mechanical heart and was taking anticoagulants. Like most cruciferous vegetables, Brussels sprouts contain high amounts of vitamin K, which promotes blood clotting.